February 12, 2022 | By
Like many industries, diversity is still a challenge for the design and creative worlds. The voices of few doing their best to represent the voices of the many. Thanks to social platforms (not without their artist challenges) the landscape is changing, albeit little by little.
We are so grateful for the voices of all creators and truly believe that digesting and valuing perspectives that differ is the best way to expand your creative solution-orientation!
This list of fantastically talented POC creatives are making history today, within each brush stroke, strategic alignment, tweak of a hue, pull of a line, crafting an exactly right syntax…. Thank you to these creators for sharing their hearts, brains and perspectives with us. We think you’ll love what you see and be grateful for the added brilliance to your social feeds.
Dava’s Picks: Founder and Chief Creative Officer
- Eso Tolson has a way with words, and hand lettering. From soft curves to outlined structural sets, his pieces can be seen with the likes of Coke or just for you on his merch.
Follow at: @coolurbanhippie
- IX Shells is one of the leading artists in the NFT space. She uses her observations and photography as inspiration mixed with code for incredible digital art. Would love to find a project where we could collaborate with her.
Follow at: @ix.shells
Andre’s Picks: Associate Creative Director
- Jackie Brown, Designer, Illustrator, Sculptor, DIY extraordinaire, and someone whose style has always stood out from the crowd. From her sticky note illustration series, Island style paintings, or Canadian Women’s Nationals Team Football Kit, Jackie has been and continues to be a designer that I’m always looking towards for inspiration.
Follow at: @jackfacekillah
Jane’s Picks: Sr. Strategist
- Erra Lajean, Ceramicist – Her pottery conveys a sort of punk rock whimsey that is equal parts Wonderland and tattoo flash inspo. Every work out of the kiln tells a story and serves a purpose, truly putting the FUN in functional!
Follow at: @ErraLajean
Haley’s Picks: Creative Project Manager
- Be A Good Person (Darian Simon and Julian Donaldson), an apparel brand that is inclusive, artistic, quality and community oriented. They are nothing short of amazing, overcoming tragedies and hardships over the last couple of years. They brought the Denver community together and have created something extremely special.
Follow at: @beagoodperson
Suzanne’s Picks: Operations Leader
- Ron Moultrie Saunders, an SF-based Photographic Artist, known for his mesmerizing photograms: photographs made without the use of a camera. His works are created by placing objects on top of light sensitive, silver-based photographic paper and then exposing to light, creating a silhouetted image.
Follow at: @ronmsaunders
Meb’s Picks: Designer
Elaine’s Picks: Designer
- Marcus Maddox is a brilliant photographer based in Philadelphia and New York focused on capturing the human condition in a thoughtful and cinematic way. Check out his captivating series Figures of Color.
Follow at: : @marcus.xoxo
- Ghanaian-American creative director Virgil Abloh broke boundaries in the tradition-soaked fashion industry, bringing streetwear to the highest levels of the luxury market, as well as becoming one of the few Black designers to take the creative helm at a major luxury house.
Follow at: @virgilabloh
Abigail’s Picks: Junior Designer
- Jon Key – Illustrator, designer and studio lead, Jon Key paints vibrant and playful illustrations centering Black and queer stubjects.
Follow at: @jkey13
- Lo Harris is a NYC based illustrator artist and educator whose work is filled with so much vibrance, energy, and joy.
Follow at: @loharris_art
What other fantastic BIPOC creator voices did we miss? Please, let us know who we should add to our list to promote throughout the year. And as always, if you’d like to chat more about crafting an authentic brand personality for your purpose-driven organization, we would love to hear from you! Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to connect.